Saturday 1 December 2012

Sausage and suet free Christmas Stuffing

It may seem like a contradiction, but today I invented a vegetarian stuffing for my roast chicken, with  no sausage or suet.


A lot of my recipes come about because I don't have the ingredients for the original recipe, and this one is no exception. Today I rushed home from the shop, flushed with success with my bargain-bird (discovered in the cheap seats for £1.55), then realised I had nothing at all to cook it with!  So this concoction was basically what I had to hand- some of last weeks stale bread, some left over home-made veg soup and lots of mixed herbs and seasoning. Luckily it turned out to be a happy accident and this stuffing is really tasty and defiantly worth cooking instead of a normal sausage-meat stuffing

I used it to stuff my roast chicken, but you could just as easily cook the stuffing separately so that the vegaterian in your life, or yourself, can enjoy Yule-tide tastes too.

Prep time: 15 min,
Cooking time- as the bird or  until golden brown on it's own ( 25-30 min)

For 1 small chicken:

2 slices of stale, but not mouldy, bread
3 tablespoons of vegetable soup ( I used a root-veg soup  made earlier in the week, but be creative- use what you have)
1 teaspoon of chicken Bovril ( or vegetable bouillon for Vegetarians)
3-4 teaspoons of mixed herbs ( and an extra one for luck)
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon of Aramat or salt.
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
a tiny smidgen of cinnamon.

1. Cut the bread into little squares
2. Add to the soup and allow the bread to soak up the liquid.
3. Add in all the seasoning and  chicken Bovril, taste to ensure the seasoning is as you like it.
4. Give the mix a good stir to break up the bread until it goes doughy.
5. Either stuff your bird or add to a dish, pat down and cook in a hot oven for 25-30min, or until golden brown




No comments:

Post a Comment