I add the banana or apple to give it a more fruity taste, the traditional recipe leaves these out.
2 small or 1 medium potato
300g flour ( roughly)
1 knob of butter
1 handful of sultanas
1-2 teaspoons of nutmeg
1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 overripe banana or stewed apple
A splash of lemon juice.
There are two top tips with this recipe:
1. This recipe needs more spice than you think.
2. If in doubt, over cook this recipe. The texture is awful if it is under cooked.
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 40 min
1. Peel the potato (s) and chop them. Place in a pan of water and bring to the boil.
1.a Pre--heat the oven to 200°C
3. Once the potatoes are cooked add the butter and mash them well.
4. Mash the banana ( or apple) and lemon juice together, then add to the potato.
5. Add the sultanas to the banana and potato.
6. Slowly stir the flour into the mix until it forms a soft dough.
7. Spread the dough onto a greased baking sheet and flatten down with a fork, keeping the ridges in the dough.
8. Cook in the top of the oven for 20-30 min, or until well browned.
9. Eat hot or cold, with butter, jam or on their own :)